The Cost of Health Care in America

 As I've gotten older I've noticed that I can't walk into a pharmacy without spending less than a hundred dollars. But recently I was hospitalized for just under a week and it was the size of the bill that almost killed me. I didn't need any surgery or rare medicines. All I needed was insulin, saline, and another drug whose name starts with a D but I can't remember what it was; as the doctor explained it to me it was basically just sugar. I didn't think that a doctor spending less than five minutes a day with me, some insulin, saline, essentially sugar, and vital sign monitoring would put me into debt for the rest of my life until I found out that the hospital was charging me $29,594.12. That's when I passed out!

When I came too I was so mad I hit the roof. Then I started wondering what the doctors and nurses at the hospital did that justified costing me almost thirty grand. Looking at the bill the only answer that I can come up with is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. My mother is a registered nurse so she could've done ninety percent of the work on me herself, believe me, she wanted to, and she wouldn't have charged me thirty grand for it either. It is ridiculous to charge someone in need $4,238.00 for an I.C.U. bed. Or $5,470.00 for coronary care especially since I was there for diabetic acidosis, my heart had nothing to do with why I was hospitalized. Not to mention $1,152.00 for the I.V. solution which is just saline. Or $3,376.00 for Med/Surg Supplies and Devices because the only things that they used on me were I.V. and injection needles, a tube that they stuck into my urethra twenty minutes after I urinated all over myself because they wouldn't let me get up to go to the bathroom and kept me waiting two hours for it, and the machine they used to monitor my vital signs. I could keep going down the list of my bill for at least two more pages and point out all the overblown prices for the most basic necessities but I think that the costs I've listed above are enough to prompt the question. How does this hospital stay in business?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scenarios For Health Care Reform

Clinical Trials and the PET-MRI Scanner

Obtaining The Right As Well As Affordable Health Insurance Strategy